HOST(ESS) VOLUNTEER HOUSES
Volunteers are the heart of our organization: without them we would be nowhere. They make long, intensive working days. That’s why we find it important to take good care of them. We are looking for an enthusiastic and social host(ess) who wants to take on this task.
Are you empathic, proactive, independent, and do you enjoy cooking, supporting volunteers, and making a safe haven out of the volunteer house? Then this position might be something for you.
The host is responsible for the volunteer house. You make sure there is a cozy decoration and atmosphere in the house, and keep the house clean and tidy. You do this in collaboration with the volunteers who you guide in this. You are responsible for making the chore schedule and you ensure that it is followed. Furthermore, you take care of laundry (towels, bed- and kitchen linen, and shirts), prepare lunch (3-5 times per week a warm meal) and do groceries (3 times a week) for the volunteer house and the medical meeting/ trainings.
As host you are also responsible for picking up and dropping off volunteers at the airport/ the harbor. In consultation with the volunteer coordinator you welcome the new volunteers in the volunteer house, give them a tour, and explain the house rules. You collect potential input of the volunteers during their stay and discuss with the volunteer coordinator what can be implemented, and how.
You also help the volunteer coordinator with organizing team building activities and doing chores in and around the house. Finally, you will help with ad hoc tasks that are needed at that moment.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR AS HOST(ESS)?
- You are energetic, empathic, social, and have good communication skills.
- You enjoy being around people and are able to deal with different types, nationalities, and cultures.
- You do not mind staying in the volunteer home, which is also your working environment.
- You oversee everything and know how to tackle things.
- You do not have a 9-to-5 mentality but enjoy alternating between early and late shifts.
- You have a proactive attitude and enjoy taking care of practical matters.
- You enjoy cooking for big groups.
- You have experience abroad (internship, work, residence...)
- You are solution-oriented and flexible.
Wat verwachten wij verder van jou? (harde eis)
- You are available for at least one month.
- You are sure of yourself and are physically and mentally healthy;
- You are fluent in English;
- You have a driving license (you’ll drive a manual car every day).
Costs and conditions
Boat Refugee Foundation can only exist thanks to our many dedicated volunteers and donors. Without them/you, we would not be able to carry out our work. We wish to spend our available funds to our missions as much as possible. For this reason, we ask all our volunteers to pay their own travel and stay. In addition, all volunteers are responsible for their own travel insurance and possible vaccinations. We have two volunteer houses on Lesvos where you can stay for 10 euros a night. After one month you can stay here for free.
Meld je aan
Do you recognize yourself in the above profile and would you like to work with us as a volunteer? And have you read the information about practical matters and the application procedure? Then you can apply using the application form below, and we will contact you as soon as possible!
Show more vacancies
Support crew volunteer
As a support crew volunteer you will assist our medical team on Lesvos. Are you known for your strong social skills? Do …
We are looking for doctors, nurses and psychologists for our medical team on Lesvos. Will you join our team?