As a medical volunteer you will join our medical team on Lesvos. We operate in a refugee camp where thousands of people reside for a long period of time. The living conditions in the camp are extremely poor. Most basic facilities are insufficient for the overcrowding camp. Under these circumstances, our doctors, nurses and psychologists offer urgently needed medical and psychological (emergency) care, seven days a week.
The medical team works evening shifts seven days a week, offering primary and emergency care from a mobile medical clinic inside the camp. Patients are mostly originating from the Middle East, other parts of Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. We see a large variety of complaints, ranging from flu-like symptoms to panic attacks or severely ill or wounded patients.
What do we expect from you? (strict requirements)
- You stand your ground and are physically and mentally healthy.
- Your English is fluent (other languages such as French, Arabic or Farsi are a plus).
- You have a driving license (you’ll have to drive a (manual) car every day).
- You are available for at least 6 weeks.
- You are open to late evening shifts and deal well with little sleep.
- You handle emotional and confronting situations well and know how to separate work and private life.
- You have at least 2 years of relevant working experience (after foundation years for UK volunteers).
- Experience working abroad is a plus.
What else do we expect from you?
- You are independent, but know the limits of your capabilities and when to ask for help.
- You are motivated to help people living in refugee camps. Experience working in refugee camps is a plus.
- You work and communicate well with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- You are flexible and know how to work together as a team.
Who can apply for our medical mission on Lesvos?
- General practitioners / family doctors (in training);
- Tropical doctors (in training);
- ER doctors (in training);
- Pediatricians (in training);
- Surgeons (in training);
- Internists (in training);
- ICU doctors (in training);
- Specialised / experience in ER, ICU, surgery, psychiatry or ambulance care
- Experience with triaging, acute medicine and / or wound care
Senior psychologists and psychiatric nurses:
- Experience within acute psychiatry, or aid/assistance to people in a crisis situation;
- Experience in sessions with traumatised patients;
- Experience with severe psychological complaints, including panic attacks, psychosis and suicide (attempts);
- You can work without supervision and are willing to educate other volunteers;
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
Unfortunately we do not have place on our team for:
- Doctors, nurses and psychologists without a valid registration;
- Students in medicine, nursing or psychology;
Costs and conditions
Boat Refugee Foundation can only exist thanks to our many dedicated volunteers and donors. Without them/you, we would not be able to carry out our work. We wish to spend our available funds to our missions as much as possible. For this reason, we ask all our volunteers to pay their own travel and stay. In addition, all volunteers are responsible for their own travel insurance and possible vaccinations. We have two volunteer houses on Lesvos where you can stay for 10 euros a night. After one month you can stay here for free.
Do you recognize yourself in the profile above and do you want to become a volunteer? And did you read the information about practical matters and the registration procedure? Then please register yourself by completing the form below and we will contact you soon!