Are you a psychologist, psychotherapist, psychiatric nurse practitioner or certified in (ortho)pedagogy? And do you have at least 2 years of clinical work experience? Join our MHPSS team as a volunteer! You and our medical team will contribute to humane (emergency) care at the reception center Mavrovouni.
Boat Refugee Foundation provides medical and psychosocial (emergency) aid and stands up for the rights of people seeking refuge. We take action where systems become inhumane and compassion is lost. Since 2015, we have been working in various locations at the borders of Europe. There are teams, which largely rely on volunteers, and provide medical and psychosocial support.
What will you do?
As an MHPSS volunteer, you will play a part in Boat Refugee Foundation’s psychological support mission in the Mavrovouni camp on Lesbos. Many of the people who reside there struggle with psychological complaints.
Our team provides mental health support to adults, focusing on increasing their strength and capacity. We meet people as true humans, taking their identity, knowledge, and skills as a starting point. Because we believe in equality, we collaborate as much as possible with the camp community. They fulfill an indispensable role as interpreters during our mission activities.
Who are we looking for?
- You have a minimum of 2 years relevant clinical work experience, including working with (intercultural) groups (abroad or with refugees/migrants in your country);
- You have completed a relevant degree (higher professional education or university);
- You can work well with people from different cultural backgrounds;
- You can deal with emotional and confronting situations and able to separate work from personal topics;
- You have experience in supporting adults who have experienced trauma, with serious psychological complaints including panic attacks, psychosis, and suicidality;
- You are independent, but also aware of the limits of your skills and know when to ask for help;
- You can stand your ground firmly and you're physically and mentally healthy;
- You are willing to carry out different tasks and able to adjust to a changing program;
- You speak English fluently;
- You are available for a minimum of one month (preferably longer);
- You have a driver’s license (you will have to drive a manual car every day).
COSTS AND CONDITIONS
Boat Refugee Foundation’s existence depends on the many volunteers and donors, without which we’d be unable to do our job. Our financial means are mostly spent on medical and psychosocial care. That is why we ask all volunteers to pay for their travel and stay. We have a volunteer house in Lesvos where you can stay for 10 euros a night. After one month you can stay here for free.
Are you interested?
Do you recognize yourself in the above profile and would you like to work with us as a volunteer? Then sign up using the form below. Note: please submit your CV in English. We look forward to your response!
It is not possible to apply more than 6 months before your availability.
SIGN UP NOW
Do you recognize yourself in the above profile and would you like to work with us as a volunteer? Then sign up using the form below. We look forward to your response!
See more vacancies
Take a look at our other vacancies on Lesvos.
Do you speak Farsi, Somali, Arabic, French or Lingala and are you able to translate into English? Then come join our tea…
MHPSS Volunteer Athens
Are you a social worker, psychologist, psychotherapist or certified in (ortho)pedagogy? Then come join our MHPSS mission…