Are you passionate, reliable, proactive and a team player? Are you based in Athens? Would you like to welcome our service users and support the Athens team? And do you enjoy providing support with administrative tasks and other (practical) activities, to keep our program running smoothly? Then join us as a support crew volunteer in Athens!
Where will you work?
Boat Refugee Foundation provides medical and psychosocial (emergency) aid and stands up for the rights of people seeking refuge. We take action where systems become inhumane and compassion is lost. Since 2015, we have been working in various locations at the borders of Europe. There our teams, which largely rely on volunteers, provide medical and psychosocial support.
What will you do?
As a support crew, you will support the MHPSS team in Athens that provides services which are focused on the well-being of adults on the move (refugees and migrants) who live in the urban setting. Our MHPSS team offers psychosocial support services, such as individual psychological support sessions, individual case management and psychosocial support group activities.
In addition to the above, BRF in Athens delivers MHPSS capacity-building trainings to other professionals operating in the refugee context. Your help is indispensable during the time that the MHPSS team is operating on the field.
As a volunteer, you will be assigned within our MHPSS program. You will be working with a team that includes a MHPSS Coordinator, a Greek psychologist and a social worker as well as possible other volunteers. Hereby we take into account your personal skills, knowledge and experience as much as possible.
During your presence at BRF’s premises, you are the first person our service users see. You make them feel welcome to the space. You ensure a good atmosphere and keep a clear overview of those waiting. You work closely together with the rest of the MHPSS team and our interpreters.
These will be your tasks:
- You welcome patients at BRF’s premises and create a good and safe atmosphere;
- In collaboration with another volunteer or staff member you assist to the child care of minor children in case the parents participate in a session;
- You support the MHPSS team when a training/activity is scheduled in BRF’s premises;
- You provide support with administrative/logistic tasks and other (practical) activities, to keep the program running smoothly;
- You provide interpretation services based on the language you speak if there is a need.
We work Monday to Friday from 09:00-17:00. You will work on a weekly schedule for +/- 25 hours, this can change based on the needs of the program. You will work together at the same time with other MHPSS staff members and volunteers.
Who are we looking for?
- You are already based in Athens;
- You are energetic, committed, and have positive attitude and strong social and communication skills;
- You like interacting with others and are able to deal with different people, nationalities and cultures;
- You are flexible regarding your working hours and don’t mind switching based on the needs of the program;
- You can work efficiently in communal spaces while other actors might operate at the same space;
- You have a proactive mindset and like to take care of practical things;
- You have a previous experience working in the refugee context;
- You have a background on social science and humanities;
- You are fluent in English and able to communicate in French (Farsi, Somali, or Arabic is an asset);
- You can deal with emotional and confrontational situations and know how to separate work and private life;
- You are available for at least 6 weeks.
COSTS AND CONDITIONS
Boat Refugee Foundation’s existence depends on the many volunteers and donors, without which we’d not be able to do our job. Our financial means are mostly spent on medical and psychosocial care. That is why we ask all volunteers to pay for their own travel and stay. Transportation costs for work related travel in Athens by public transport are covered.
Are you interested?
Do you recognize yourself in the above profile and would you like to work with us as a volunteer? Then sign up using the form below. Note: please submit your CV in English. We look forward to your response!
Please sign up using the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you!
See more vacancies
Take a look at our other vacancies on Lesvos.
MHPSS volunteer Lesvos
Are you a psychologist, psychotherapist, psychiatric nurse practitioner or certified in (ortho)pedagogy? Come join our M…
Interpreting trainer Lesvos
Are you a professional interpreter and do you consider it a challenge to transfer your knowledge to others? Then this po…