We are looking for a professional who would like to take our interpreting team on Lesvos to a next level. Are you an interpreter who loves to transfer knowledge to others? Do you enjoy teaching groups and developing training material? Then this position might be a match!
Where will you work?
Boat Refugee Foundation provides medical and psychosocial (emergency) aid and stands up for the rights of people on the run. Where systems become inhumane and compassion is lost, we take action. Since 2015, we have been running operations in various locations at the borders of Europe. There our teams, which largely rely on volunteers, provide medical and psychosocial support.
What will you do?
On Lesvos we work with a team of interpreters, also known as our ground team, who support the medical and MHPSS missions. These volunteers live in the camp and are indispensable in our work. They help us by translating our consultations from English into Farsi, Arabic, French, Lingala or one of the other languages. Thanks to our interpreters, we can help people in their own language.
In order to take our interpreting team to a next level, we are looking for a professional interpreter who can develop training courses together with our field coordinator on Lesvos. Some of these trainings you will deliver yourself. Also, you will support our interpreters during their job in the clinic.
Your working hours will be scheduled flexibly and it could be that you get asked to join the shifts. The medical shifts are from 17:00 until midnight.
What do we expect of you?
- You are available for a minimum of 4 weeks;
- You have completed a relevant interpreter training program;
- You speak fluent English and can develop training materials and deliver training in English. Ability to speak Farsi, Arabic or French is a plus;
- You have broad experience with interpreting. It is a plus if you have experience in medical translation;
- You are experienced in developing and delivering training to a team;
- You have previously worked in an international environment and are skilled at collaborating with people who come from different cultural backgrounds;
- You are sociable and a skilled communicator;
- You are in the possession of a driving license B.
Costs and conditions
Boat Refugee Foundation’s existence depends on the many volunteers and donors, without which we’d not be able to do our job. Our financial means are mostly spent on medical and psychosocial care. That is why we ask all volunteers to pay for their own travel and stay. We have a volunteer house on Lesvos where you can stay for 10 euros a night. After one month you can stay here for free.
Are you interested?
Do you recognize yourself in the above profile and would you like to work with us as a volunteer? Then sign up using the form below. Note: please submit your CV in English. We look forward to your response!
It is not possible to apply more than 6 months before your availability.
Please sign up using the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you!
See more vacancies
Take a look at our other vacancies on Lesvos.
MHPSS volunteer Lesvos
Are you a psychologist, psychotherapist, psychiatric nurse practitioner or certified in (ortho)pedagogy? Come join our M…
Medical volunteer Lesvos
We are looking for doctors and nurses to strenghten our medical team on Lesvos. Will you join us?