Are you empathetic, proactive and independent? Would you like to welcome our patients and support the volunteer teams? And do you enjoy cooking and taking care of practical matters? Then join us as a support crew volunteer on Lesvos!
Where will you work?
Boat Refugee Foundation provides medical and psychosocial (emergency) aid and stands up for the rights of people seeking refuge. We take action where systems become inhumane and compassion is lost. Since 2015, we have been working in various locations at the borders of Europe. There our teams, which largely rely on volunteers, provide medical and psychosocial support.
What will you do?
As support crew, you will support the medical and MHPSS teams that provide (emergency) care from our mobile clinic in the camp. Your help is indispensable: not only during our shifts at our clinic, but also in the volunteer house.
At the clinic
During the shifts, you are the first person our patients see. You make them feel welcome and offer something to drink. You ensure a good atmosphere and keep a clear overview of those waiting. You work closely together with the shift coordinator and our interpreters. You also ensure that all practical and logistical matters are in order.
In the volunteer house
In addition to your duties at the clinic, you will be responsible for the ins and outs of the volunteer house. You make sure that new volunteers are picked up and are given a warm welcome. A few days a week, you will do groceries and cook a fresh meal for our volunteers.
We work both in the evening (17.00-24.00h) and during the day. You will work together with another support crew volunteer. Together you will work six evening shifts per week at the clinic and cook four days a week.
These are your tasks
- You prepare all supplies for the evening shift;
- You welcome patients at our clinic and create a good and safe atmosphere;
- You help with the maintenance of the mobile clinic and do tasks in the volunteer house;
- You organise the pick-up and drop-off of volunteers at the airport/port;
- You welcome new volunteers in our volunteer house, show them around and explain the house rules;
- You support the volunteer coordinator in making the bed planning and keeping the overview of new arrivals;
- You take care of meals (a warm meal for about 15 people a day);
- You take care of the groceries for the volunteer house and the medical meeting/training sessions;
- You are responsible for washing the towels, bed and kitchen linen, and work clothes;
- You take care of a cosy atmosphere in the house;
- You support the volunteer coordinator with chores in and around the house;
- Any additional tasks required at that moment.
Who are we looking for?
- You are energetic, empathic, and have strong social and communicative skills;
- You like interacting with people and are able to deal with different personality types, nationalities and cultures;
- You don’t mind staying in the volunteer house, which is also your work environment;
- You are flexible regarding your working hours and don’t mind switching between early and late shifts;
- You have a proactive mindset and like to take care of practical things;
- You like to cook for groups;
- You are very experienced in using Excel and Google Drive;
- You have some experience abroad (internship, work, living, …);
- You can think in solutions;
- You are physically healthy: you need to be able to stand for long periods in the cold, rain, wind or hot sun;
- You are fluent in English (speaking Farsi, Somali, French or Arabic is preferred);
- You have a driving licence (you will have to drive a shift car daily);
- You can deal with emotional and confrontational situations and know how to separate work and private life;
- You are available for at least 6 weeks.
COSTS AND CONDITIONS
Boat Refugee Foundation’s existence depends on the many volunteers and donors, without which we’d not be able to do our job. Our financial means are mostly spent on medical and psychosocial care. That is why we ask all volunteers to pay for their own travel and stay. We have a volunteer house on Lesvos where you can stay for 10 euros a night. After one month you can stay here for free.
Are you interested?
Do you recognize yourself in the above profile and would you like to work with us as a volunteer? Then sign up using the form below. We look forward to your response!
Please sign up using the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you!
See more vacancies
Take a look at our other vacancies on Lesvos.
MHPSS volunteer Lesvos
Are you a psychologist, psychotherapist, psychiatric nurse practitioner or certified in (ortho)pedagogy? Come join our M…
Interpreting trainer Lesvos
Are you a professional interpreter and do you consider it a challenge to transfer your knowledge to others? Then this po…